De-Throned
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De-Throned is a Mod for the PC Game Oblivion, and will be set in England during the English Civil War 1641-1651

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Muskets and all things that go BANG!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Raradir
Admin
Raradir

Muskets and all things that go BANG! Empty
PostSubject: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 4:45 am

Ok so guns played a very important part of The English Civil war the same with cannons, and what we need to try and do is replicate that in De-Throned. Me and Thehunter have been discussing this and we found a mod on tesnexus of a Blunderbuss (will provide link to it) the only thing with that mod it required magic, which we don't want in this Mod, so whether we can get around that or not is another matter. Although, we have an experienced Musketeer as a member, bangbloke he is a Musketeer with The Sealed Knot so he can provide us with much historic detail with muskets and cannons so we don't mod in Muskets that weren't used during The English Civil War.

Thoughts & Ideas?

Link to the Blunderbuss on tesnexus...
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=14589

Thanx
Raradir
Back to top Go down
https://de-throned.forumotion.com
bangbloke
Our Local Sealed Knot Member
bangbloke

PostSubject: Re: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 am

If you want authentic guns you'll be looking at the following -

Muskets - they were mostly matchlock. Took at least 30 seconds to reload. If you didn't have time to reload and the enemy were on you the musket could be used as a club. Flintlocks were used too, mostly by garrison troops and guards.

Pistols - big, long flintlocks. Mostly used by officers and cavalry. Took at least thirty seconds to reload but two were often carried. Fire two, then go for the sword.

Firing a musket or pistol always produced a lot of smoke. Something to think about?
Back to top Go down
The hunter
Head Writer
Head Writer
The hunter

PostSubject: Re: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 am

So in games terms flintlocks shouldnt be available to untill later levels...
How realistic do you think matchlocks should be? Because 30secs+ reload time could get frustrating... Same with flintlocks too i suppose...
Prehaps they should have high damage but be true to the time and have long reload?

Plus what do you think the rate of people who used bows would be? I understand the military wouldnt use them to as great extent but surely other people would, such as the player character...
Back to top Go down
Raradir
Admin
Raradir

PostSubject: Re: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 am

I also thought that 30sec would be quite too long for a game maybe get it down to 10-15secs I know its a bit inaccurate but it would make it less frustrating for the player. Also I thought bows would be used by Rebels and Scots
Back to top Go down
bangbloke
bangbloke

PostSubject: Re: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 7:11 am

I suppose you could reduce musket loading times a bit. Times for flintlock and matchlock are very similar.

Bows weren't much used by this time. Not because they weren't good weapons, but because it took years to train someone to use a longbow properly (technically and physically), and in England we had lost the tradition for training archers after so many years without war. It was far easier to get a peasant and train him to use a musket - only took a few hours, as opposed to years for a longbow.

Another weapon that was very common at the time was the pole arm - pikes were used en masse but pole arms, being shorter, could be used in individual combat and were frequently used by soldiers based in towns etc. We are talking about halberds and partisans.

Another 'pole arm' that everybody forgets is the basic farming implement - scythe, pitchfork etc. A lot of men on both sides were 'club men' - local militia without formal military training who played a big part in many actions, large and small, defending their own towns and villages and often marching off to help the cause elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Bluecheese9191
Recruitment Officer
Recruitment Officer
Bluecheese9191

PostSubject: Re: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:50 am

but we should still have the bow, as the player been trained for years... ¬_¬ im shure there is a way to keep the bow
Back to top Go down
Raradir
Admin
Raradir

PostSubject: Re: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:54 am

I was more thinking Bows and Crossbows maybe to be use by the Scots and Rebels
Back to top Go down
The hunter
Head Writer
Head Writer
The hunter

PostSubject: Re: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 11:16 am

The player was never going to have been originally trained with these muskets right?
So it makes sense that he would prehaps be a huntsmen and be able to use a bow...
Obv these will probably have to remain fairly weak...
Back to top Go down
Halperin

Halperin

PostSubject: Re: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 pm

I think that keeping the bow is a good idea, and like Raradir said, maybe limit it to Rebels and Scots. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it's fairly simple to turn things like pitchforks or scythes into blunt weapons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Muskets and all things that go BANG!   Muskets and all things that go BANG! Empty

Back to top Go down

Muskets and all things that go BANG!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
De-Throned  :: Team House :: Weapons and Armour-
Jump to: