De-Throned
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De-Throned is a Mod for the PC Game Oblivion, and will be set in England during the English Civil War 1641-1651

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Main Quest Introduction?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kroot9525

Main Quest Introduction? Empty
PostSubject: Main Quest Introduction?   Main Quest Introduction? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:58 pm

So I was wondering if you guys have a set introduction for the mod. If not, do you mind if I make a contribution?

In my opinion, the thing that makes Oblivion great is that you start out as no one. You literally have no background, family, or friends. From there, you can use your imagination.

Even though this is based on history, I still believe we can create a beginning similar to Oblivion.

So here's my idea:

After the choose race/choose etc. menu closes, you find your character standing on a small dock near an English township on the coast. You see a small band of pirates/rebels attacking the village. A nearby town guard asks for your help in defeating the pirates. You can pick up a weapon from an already dead guard body and then proceed to help the remaining guards finish the brigands. This battle will be simple, but will add some excitiment to the intro.

From there, the guard who first spoke with you can fill you in on England (Much like Haskill from SI). It turns out that this particular village is nonaligned, so you're neither interacting with loyalists or parlimentaries. However, the guard can tell you that the rest of England is locked in civil war. He can fill you in on both sides, as well as other factions in the game. From there, you must travel to a certain location to join the faction of your choice. Example: London is where you can join the Parliment faction, while Charles I's forces may be found west of London. Or, you can explore on your own.

Anyway, you can alter this in anyway or even dismiss it. The only thing I caution about the intro is forcing the player into an immediate position in a faction. This ruins the roleplaying factor and causes some modders to second think the mod.

Anyway, thanks

Kroot
Back to top Go down
Raradir
Admin
Raradir

PostSubject: Re: Main Quest Introduction?   Main Quest Introduction? EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 4:35 am

That sounds really good, we havn't really decided on an intro quest but I think that this will be it:)
Back to top Go down
https://de-throned.forumotion.com
Halperin

Halperin

PostSubject: Re: Main Quest Introduction?   Main Quest Introduction? EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 2:23 pm

This sounds really good, but I was thinking that you would choose a background, and the main quest (or at least the intro) would be based on the background. For instance, if you chose the Royalist faction, you could start off as a noble coming back to his estate when he hears news that his family was slaughtered and his home was burned down. But also, just so you wouldn't be limited, you would be able to switch sides a few quests in. So, once the Royalist hears his family was killed, he goes London for the king's help. The king would then refuse him, and he would have the option to join the army. On the other hand, you could get mad at Charles for not giving help. You would then find out that it was actually King Charle's men who killed your family so he could acquire your property, and you would join the rebels.

If you chose to start out as a rebel, you could start in a royalist prison because you were in debt. The prison would then be stormed by other rebels, you would be freed, and you could join the Parliamentarist faction. Or there would be some quest where the royalists ask you to infiltrate the rebels, in return for property and money.

If you choose to start as a French Mercenary (if there is that option), you would come into England on a ship. You would then do a couple quests for each side for some pay. After the the few quests are finished, you could choose to join the Royalists because they pay more, or the rebels because you feel sympathy for them.

But, like Kroot says, this may seem too forceful an intro. I know for me even Oblivion's intro was too forced (there was no way a noncriminal character could not deliver the amulet from a roleplayer's perspective).
Back to top Go down
Halperin

Halperin

PostSubject: Re: Main Quest Introduction?   Main Quest Introduction? EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Actually, I now think that Kroot's idea would be way better. I like my intro idea, but it would put players into a position way too forcefully.
Back to top Go down
Kroot9525

PostSubject: Re: Main Quest Introduction?   Main Quest Introduction? EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 pm

I actually do love your idea halperin.

But I think you're right, it is a little too forceful. Kinda puts the player into someone else's shoes instead of letting themm make their own.

Anyway, when the time comes, I'd be more than glad to create the intro town and quest. Just tell me when you guys are ready.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Main Quest Introduction?   Main Quest Introduction? Empty

Back to top Go down

Main Quest Introduction?
Page 1 of 1